Thursday, July 5, 2012

a special post for you all

It's been a while since I graced you all with my dating guru presence, and that is because I'm on vacation! So I thought I'd leave you with my most popular post on my personal blog which just happens to be on dating! Enjoy! Hope you had a wonderful fourth of July!

Mixed Signals


via
Hello all! So, I was getting ready to go on a date last night (an hour before I had to) (because I was bored to death) (I miss living with best friends) (why not try on every color of lipstick I own?) and it just got me pondering. On that thing we call dating. Now, I know I don't talk about dating a lot on this blog, and when I do, it's funny first kiss stories or subtleiwasfeelingbitteratthemoment posts. Whatever. It's the title of this post. It's the fact that I feel like all of us 20-something singles out here are getting so many mixed signals from everyone around us about HOW we should date. I haven't seriously dated anybody in a while... I've had a few flings here and there this year. Which caused a huge part of me - HUGE I tell you - to rethink my whole approach to dating. Earlier this year I realized that I am the girl, that one girl, the girl the boys think they can just call up whenever. Not in THAT way, people. I mean, the way that they don't have to ask me out on official dates. They can just hang out with me all casual like and make me like them without any real effort. They were right, of course. I'm far too easy going. Because you hear all those stories of girls freaking out over this or that and boys hating them, and I think somewhere along the line I decided, you know what? I'm just going to not be that girl. I'm going to be the easy going you-don't-have-to-worry-about-me-because-i'm-not-worried-about-you kind of girl. And then I realized that has to stop. So it did. I'm still easy going, but I'm not settling for no effort. I need a DATE, guys. I'm WORTH a date, guys. Or two.

And then there's the whole, you know, marriage thing. My friends are getting married. It took long enough, but it's happening. But they all tell that story. The one where they, "weren't even looking to get married, and there he was! He just showed up, and everything fell into place!" What do you MEAN you weren't even LOOKING? How did you see him then? How did he get there? He just randomly appeared and you loved each other? It's THAT easy? I tried to "stop looking" once (not that I'm ever looking really, more, perusing) and I got a whole lot of NOTHING because the boys were like, why is she looking over there at that fallen tree?

So I can only assume that married people forgot how dating really works. And that's why no one can pinpoint the secret to making it happily ever after.

No comments:

Post a Comment